Pavel Arsenev (born 1986 in Leningrad) is an artist, poet and theorist.
As an artist, he works with the graphic aspects and materialisation of (poetic) text. Participant of several international venues including Manifesta10, Matadero (Madrid), «Disobedient objects» (Victoria and Albert Museum), Büro für kulturelle Übersetzungen (Leipzig), Kunstraum Dreiviertel (Bern), Nova Synagoga (Zilina), III Moscow Biennale of Young Artists, Subvision kunst festival (Hamburg).
Poems have been translated into English, Italian, Danish, Dutch, Bulgarian, Polish and Slovenian. Books of poems include: “Things that won’t fit inside your head” published by AnnaNova, 2005, “Colorless green ideas sleep furiously” by Kraft, 2011, and and “Spasm of Accomodation” by CommuneEditions (Berkeley), 2017. Poems were also published by ARCADE project (Stanford University).
Articles have been published in the New Literary Observer, the Moscow Art Magazine, Logos, Political critique, and the newspaper of the Chto Delat collective. Editor-in-chief of the literary-critical magazine [Translit]
Recipient of the Andrei Bely Prize (2012).
Date of birth: 18.01.1986 EDUCATION
- 2008-2010: Department of philology and arts of St. Petersburg State University Received a master’s degree in literary theory („A final attempt call a spade a spade: Literature of fact (as a part of productionist movement of 1920s in Soviet Russia)”).
- 2013-2014 Departments of arts (Faculté des Lettres) University of Lausanne (Switzerland). Fellowship researcher at the Center of research of comparative epistemology of linguistics of Central and Eastern Europe under the guidance of Patrick Seriot.
PUBLICATIONS (in all languages except Russian)
- Bilingual edition is being prepared for the publication by Ugly Duckling Press & Cicada Publishing (NYC, 2018).
- Book of poems «Spasm of Accomodation» in English is published by CommuneEditions (Berkeley, 2017)
- Poems in German have been published in Schreibheft 90 (trans. and ed. by Sabine Haensgen, Berlin)
- Poems and essay in English have been published at ARCADE project (Stanford University).
- Poems and interview in slovak in Kloaka magazine (Slovakia)
- Poems in Czech and graphics have been published in «Třídit slova. Literatura a konceptuální tendence 1949–29015» (Tranzit, Prague)
- Poems in English have been published in Broadsheet Anthology (ed. by Mark Pirie, New Zeland).
- Poems in Italian have been published in «Tutta la pienezza nel mio petto» antology (ed. by Paolo Galvani, Bologna)
- Poems in Dutch have been published in Nieuwe poëzie uit Rusland #4 (Perdu/ Read Warehouse, Amsterdam)
- Poem in English in Russia’s day / Circling the Square: Maidan & Cultural Insurgency in Ukraine. Ed. by N. Osipova & M. Whittley
- Articles and essays in english have been published at CreativeTime, Satori.lv, Absent magazine, etc.
EXHIBITIONS Personal Projects
- 2017 / «La propagande par le fait» (with М. Kurtov), Kunstraum Dreiviertel, Bern.
- 2017 / «Fancy Moscow», Сosmoscow, Moscow.
- 2017 / «Afghan-Kuzminki», Acces Point/New Stage of Alexandrinsky Theater, Petersburg.
- 2017 / «Neuro Sync Poetry» (with О. Gudachev), New Stage of Alexandrinsky Theater (Laboratory of Mediapoetry), Petersburg.
- 2016 / «Poésie objectif», Matadero, Madrid.
- 2016 / «Writing machine «Gogol»», Gogol’s House, Moscow.
- 2015 / «Мaterial poetry», Lendoc, Petersburg.
- 2015 /«Sharing the spoken word: two works about the communism of voice and writing», ProArte Institute, Petersburg.
- 2015 / «31 Gebrauchsanweisungen für ein poetisches Gerät», Büro für kulturelle Übersetzungen, Leipzig.
- 2014 / «Texts found beneath the wallpaper» Dirty Gallery (in the framework of «Texts in the street / texts in the room»). Public Programm of Manifesta10, Saint-Petersburg.
- 2012 / «Original spelling preserved» Gallery «Start» (Winzavod), Moscow, Russia / Photo
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2017 — «Poetry & Performance. The Eastern European Perspective», Nova synagoga, Zilina (Slovakia)/Belgrad (Serbia).
- 2017 / «Enter your text», Berthold Centre, Petersburg (project «Texts found beneath the wallpaper»)
- 2016 / «Souvenirs from nowhere», Matadero, Madrid (project «Poésie objectif»)
- 2016 / «.txt», Gogol’s House, Moscow, (project «Writing machne «Gogol»», «Diary of a Mad Precarious Worker»)
- 2015 / «House of the voices: on the borders of language». Lendoc, Petersburg (prject «Material poetry»)
- 2015 / «Form festival», Moscow (project «Fragments of ideological surfing»)
- 2014 / «Disobidient objects». Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- 2014 / «The other capital». Museum of Moscow, Moscow.
- 2014 / «Map of poetical actions». Public Programm of Manifesta10, Saint-Petersburg (Project «If a poem was to be thrown out of the window…»)
- 2013 / [Textologies]. Chetvert loft, Saint-Petersburg, Krasnoyarsk. (Project «Translator’s notes»).
- 2013 / «Life as form (nomadic version)». «Fabrique», Moscow.
- 2012 / III Moscow International Biennale for Young Art 2012 – NCCA / Central House of Artists (CHA) / Gorky Park, Moscow, Russia
- 2012 / «You don’t even imagine/represent us» – ArtPlay gallery/OpenSpace, Moscow, Russia
- 2011 / «MediaStrike» (at 4th Moscow Biennial) – Galley «Zhir», Moscow, Russia
- 2011 / «Fathers and sons» (media-festival) – Akhmatova ArtCentre, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
- 2010 / «Arteria» – FreeSpace foundation, Zelenogorsk, Russia
- 2009 / Subvision kunst festival – Hamburg, Germany
SELECTED SCHOLARSHIPS AND AWARDS
- 2012 / Andrey Bely Prize, laureat in the nomination ‘literary projects’ (Saint-Petersburg, Russia)
- 2013-2014 / Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships (Switzerland)
- 2015 / Anna Nova gallery prize for young artists (S-Petersburg, Russia)
- Curator of the Poetry Festival on the Island (2009-2012)
- Editor-in-chief of the literary-theoretical magazine [Translit] (2006 – till now)